Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What's For Dinner Tuesday

What's For Dinner Tonight 7-26-11


Well technically I picked up Sonic after my meeting but I made this last night and was going to eat leftovers tonight but didn't feel like it.

This is a recipe I make often because hubby loves it and it's full of veggies! I'm still trying to perfect this recipe and add a little more flavor (last night I realized I forgot to season the eggplant and add salt and pepper to the ricotta mixture). But that's why I love to cook is to try new techniques and figure out the secrets behind what makes a recipe work! My little secret to this recipe is using tomato paste instead of sauce.



Eggplant Parmesan

2 medium eggplants
3 oz tomato paste
2 large eggs
1 cup parmesan cheese
4oz Ricotta cheese
2 cups mozzarella cheese
Salt and pepper
Italian seasoning




Pre-heat oven  to 350. Slice eggplant 1/4 of an inch thick, I use a mandolin. Mix ricotta, eggs, half of parmesan, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper in a separate bowl. I do not pre-cook my eggplant, that;s the reason I use tomato paste because of the water in the eggplant would make it too watery. the next steps are just layering each ingredient one after another in any order you choose, I usually go sauce, eggplant, ricotta, eggplant, sauce, mozzarella, eggplant, ricotta, etc... the last layer i usually do eggplant ricotta, sauce, and then the rest of the parmesan. Cover with lid or foil and bake for 1hr. This time I used my round corning ware opposed to my usual rectangular Pyrex so I should have cooked it longer, but it turned out well.



 Like I said before I'm always changing up recipes til I perfect it so feel free to add or change to your desires. I've added mushrooms and leftover rotisserie chicken before. Next time I will be peeling the eggplant and see if I like that better. I also just found this recipe and think I might try this sauce cause I always like a little spice!

Sorry forgot to take a picture before we dug in :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment